Potential Carambor Fix

Errata issued by the CoE, open discussion of candidate rules for errata, and submissions for the Annual Rules Vote.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Re: Potential Carambor Fix

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 pm

The question is not one of dominance -- if it won 100% of the time it would already have been nerfed; no CoE has been that lethargic. ;)

The question is one of an extremely negative play experience when it does work -- showing up at a tournament to play and then not getting to play simply because the other person goes first isn't going to create a wellspring of camaraderie and harmonious feeling.

Regardless of whether one feels Carambor needs fixing, though, the issue of short event duration brought up by Theo is a real one. We've been assuming these events last until the end of the turn, or even throughout the entirety of the movement/hazard phase, but that's not necessarily correct.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly.

Theo

Post by Theo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm

And I'd also have a question about story sense; MECCG isn't just a set of arbitrary interactions between components. Unless Carambor is a time manipulating sorcerer, I don't like the implication of being able to make the day longer than it is (and for just that party). Given that the card doesn't have the ability to use any sort of magics (nor do I recall any of that sort in the lore), I'm skeptical of that possibility.
It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world.

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Thematic considerations are a slippery slope for rules adjudication.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly.

rezwits

Post by rezwits » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Theo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 am
Carambor's ability should be interpreted as only being usable at the end of a company's "normal" movement hazard phase---the only movement hazard phase for that company in the rulebooks. It refers to a singular "phase" rather than "phases", and in the rules as written up to that point on the card there is only the one M/H phase per turn to refer to, so the ability must refer to (just) that phase. This interpretation reveals that the proposed "once per turn" change would actually result in an increase in power, in that a party could benefit from both Carambor's ability and e.g. Bridge on the same turn, whereas currently they couldn't.
I think the only problem with that kind of ruling, is that it would restrict the movement of Ringwraith Attack Decks even more. Not allowing them to Forced March - Forced March - Leg It Double Quick, example...

Which my goodness CvCC RW decks need in my eyes...
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

Return to “Rules & Errata”