We played a tournament based on this scenario at the European Championship back in 2007, and in several Spanish events too. I've just decided to post it again. Since we'll have this battle on cinemas coming in a few months... maybe you want to give it a try. It's really funny!!
This is a MECCG scenario for two players, one of them must play a Hero deck and the other one must play a Minion deck (*see below for optional rules). Fallen Wizard and Balrog decks are not allowed.
Each company may move only to a site in one of the following regions: Rhudaur, Wold & Foothills, High Pass, Redhorn Gate, Gundabad, Anduin Vales, Grey Mountain Narrows, Heart of Mirkwood, Western Mirkwood, Woodland Realm, Southern Mirkwood, Northern Rhovanion, Withered Heath and Iron Hills.
Forbidden cards: Sacrifice of Form, Orc-mail, A Malady without Healing, Veils Flung Away, Foul Fumes, True Fana, Long Winter, Snowstorm and any dragon manifestation but Smaug Roused.
-Agents: playable as characters only, never as hazards.
-Bolg and Azog: it is possible to play them as minion characters.
-Cave Drake: counts as a drake creature.
-Remnants of old Robberies: canâ€™t be played on drakes or Smaug Ahunt or the auto-attack at The Lonely Mountain.
-Skin-changer: if it is played during Battle of Five Armies, you donâ€™t need to place Beorn in your hand afterwards.
-Tiding of Bold Spies: canâ€™t be played on a company moving to The Lonely Mountain.
-Drakes: Minion players get kill marshalling points for every defeated drake.
Factions: a player can only recruit unique factions playable at any non-haven site located in one of the regions listed above.
Starting Companies: Hero characters start at Rivendell. Minion characters begin the game at Dol Guldur. A Hero player has an extra +5 general influence that cannot be used to control characters.
The Lonely Mountain contains one auto-attack only: Dragon, 2 strikes of 18/8 (this auto-attack is also an at home Dragon manifestation). No hazard can target or modify such attack, but it is possible to play resources that cancel or modified it. Whenever a company enters The Lonely Mountain without defeating the auto-attack (unless the company manages to play Smaug Roused before the end of its site phase) Smaug Ahunt enters play as a long event (it remains in play until current player's next site phase, but it is not treated as a long event for the purpose of playing cards that target it, such as Marvels Told). Meanwhile Smaug Ahunt (or Smaug Roused) remains in play, The Lonely Mountain has no auto-attack (but it contains a hoard yet) and it is not allowed to play Smaug Roused.
Victory Conditions: the player who scores more marshalling points after resolving the Battle of Five Armies (BFA) wins the game. BFA is called when:
1. Both players have exhausted their decks twice: BFA begins at the end of current turn.
2. If a player has exhausted his deck once and if he has got the Hoard of Smaug: BFA begins at the end of opponentÂ´s next turn.
3. While in a tournament, if time is over, BFA begins at the end of the turn played by the player who didnÂ´t start the game.
The Hoard of Smaug: a player gets the Hoard of Smaug when he plays Smaug Roused or if he manages to defeat one of the following: Smaug Ahunt, Smaug Roused or the auto-attack at the Lonely Mountain (if the player does so, he gets 5 kill marshalling points).
The Battle of Five Armies:
1. Before BFA starts, each character must face a corruption check. The player who played last turn begins.
2. Each playerÂ´s characters form a single company that faces opponentÂ´s company in Company versus Company Combat (CvCC). No card or effect can target such attack as a whole (cards like Concealment and Black Arrow have no effect), but cards that target each single strike are playable (cards such as Risky Blow, HalflingÂ´s Stealth, etc). This CvCC is not located at any site. Ignore any restriction about companies composition (it is possible to have more than 7 characters, several leaders, Ringwraiths, etc).
3. Characters keep same status (untapped, tapped or wounded) they had at the end of regular game. It is allowed to play cards or effects that modify such status.
4. Each character has prowess +X, where X is your faction marshalling points (apply this modifier after any other prowess modifier). Last Alliance of Elves and Men and Great Army of the North count as faction marshalling points.
5. While resolving CvCC, treat your company as the defending company if you got the Hoard of Smaug. If no player got the Hoard of Smaug, treat your company as the defending company if you have less faction marshalling points than your opponent (or less total marshalling points if there is a tie; or make a roll and choose if there is a tie yet).
Tournament Rules: every player must construct a Hero deck and a Minion deck. When resolving starting roll, the player who rolls higher decides to choose alignment or to start the game playing his first turn.
Optional Tournament Rules: if you are not in the mood for constructing two decks (lazy you!), or maybe you are a rookie player who doesnâ€™t feel confident playing Minion, just play a Hero deck (anyway, keep in mind that you better should play different hazard decks). If both players have Hero decks only, BFA still takes place (in fact, as this story was told in The Hobbit, Free Peoples were about to fight against themselves because of the Hoard of Smaug).
1 post • Page 1 of 1