Character Limit b4/Aft Draft

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
rezwits

Character Limit b4/Aft Draft

Post by rezwits » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 am

HI again all,

I am trying to work on some deck lists. I am trying to design them Tournament ready. I come from the traditional tournament structure where usually you have a Deck List on paper and you submit and then compete. This is the format I want them in.

My question is in concern to the character and character draft section of the "Deck List."

Quotations from URD are as follows:

1). Select a pool of up to ten valid characters. Non-character cards which are drafted as characters do not count toward this total.

At this point you have 10 characters for a pool. GOT IT.
[extra draft stuff]
This is the part I get lost:

2). You may now assign up to ten characters to go into your play deck.

So basically, if we have a "Deck List" we should write down up to 20 characters OVERALL to choose from?

Or can we just willy nilly using the "guidance" of statement (2) grab our "Card Binder" and just go thru and pick up to 10 characters to go into our decks?

I feel in the spirit of playing with some restraint, the prior method would be advisable or in some case correct?

I am working on a project and I would really like this "rules" annotation to even be decided on and locked in. I feel this is a gray area of the rules themselves.

So the 20 cards would be, you grab your 10 for character draft, and then you have 18 or less to pick 10 from (if you played say 2) and throw in your deck.

Please tell me this makes sense. I don't feel the rules allow for what I call a Ring of Ma'rûf 10 character in deck selection process.

Thanks!
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

rezwits

Re: Character Limit b4/Aft Draft

Post by rezwits » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Should I get this moved to Council Business?

Thanks guys for any help!
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Post by Bandobras Took » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:28 am

Character Draft: Starting characters are determined by Character Draft. Each Player selects up to 10 characters to put into his or her pool of potential starting characters. This happens before characters are selected for the play deck. Certain cards may be revealed as thought they were starting characters. These cards are included in the pool of starting characters, but do not count against the 10 character maximum. Each player reveals his or her first choice for a starting character simultaneously with opponent. If a unique character is duplicated by opponent's selection, both characters are set aside (this character may not appear in either player's starting company). Each player then selects a second character to reveal (but not a unique character revealed earlier). Each unduplicated revealed character goes into its player's starting company. Each player continues this process until one of the following occurs: the player has 5 characters in his or her company (6 for a minion player), the total Mind of that player's starting characters is 20, the player has exhausted his or her pool of 10 potential starting characters, or the player decides to stop revealing characters (i.e., he or she is satisfied with the starting company). Note that when one player stops, the other player continues revealing characters until one of the four conditions is met. A player may not reveal a character that would bring the total Mind of all of his or her starting characters above 20.
In his or her play deck, each player may now assign up to 10 characters, and this may include any unrevealed or duplicated (set aside) characters from his or her pool of starting characters. Note that the Character Draft differs from the Rulesbook in that a duplicated starting character does not automatically go into the play deck, and that its inclusion in the play deck does count against the deck's 10 character maximum.
Non-Draft (Normal) Play:
3 · GETTING READY TO PLAY
Follow these steps to get ready to play:
1. Place your site cards in your location deck. This deck should contain all of your Haven cards (i.e., Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Carn Dûm, and Geann a-Lisch). You may include any number of Haven cards, but only one of each non-Darkhaven site card.
2. Place between 25 and 50 Resource cards and an equal number of Hazard cards in your play deck (if you have fewer than 25 of either available, just use all of the cards you have). Only one of each "unique" card may be included. No more than three copies of any one non-unique card may be included.
3. Place one to six starting minion characters (no Ringwraiths, no minion agents from Dark Minions) face down in front of you. The combined mind attributes (see page 18) of these characters must be 20 or less. You and your opponent reveal your characters simultaneously, placing any duplicated characters into your play decks. Then organize your starting characters into followers and companies and place them at Minas Morgul (i.e., place a Minas Morgul site card next to them).
4. You may assign up to 2 non-unique minor items to your starting characters (i.e., 2 items, not 2 to each character). These items must come from cards that you have not already committed to your play deck.
5. Place up to 10 non-Ringwraith character cards in your play deck. Only one of each character card may be included. In addition, place up to two Ringwraith cards in your play deck (you may place two copies of the same Ringwraith). Shuffle your play deck.
6. Draw a hand of eight cards from your play deck.
7. Each player makes a roll, and the player with the highest result goes first (reroll if tied).
So, with the draft:

You have a pool of ten characters with which you can form your starting company.

Later on, when you're sticking characters in your deck, you can stick in any ten characters you want. This can include leftovers from your draft pool, characters you didn't want to put in your draft pool, and characters you found stuck to the bottom of your shoe as you were walking in to play the game.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly. This prompted the backlash erratum that I will link to as soon as I notice it is officially posted. :)

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Since this seems to be more of a rules and procedures question rather than a topic discussing the need for an Erratum, I have moved this topic to the Rules Questions forum for now.

While the importance of this topic/question is very narrow in scope, there is some relevance to it. Hypothetically, if your deck was designed to pursue and influence your opponent's characters away: according to Bandobras Took's answer, you could wait to see what characters your opponent reveals in the character draft and then go pull from your binder characters that provide you an advantage after knowing this information (ie. Celeborn if your opponent reveals Galadriel, Arwen if your opponent reveals Aragorn, etc.)

Thorsten the Traveller
Council Member

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:44 pm

While the importance of this topic/question is very narrow in scope, there is some relevance to it. Hypothetically, if your deck was designed to pursue and influence your opponent's characters away: according to Bandobras Took's answer, you could wait to see what characters your opponent reveals in the character draft and then go pull from your binder characters.
Narrow in scope? I wouldn't say that. Nobody I know has ever played it like this, but it can have big consequences, including people turning up with their whole meccg collection at a tournament :-). Really a pity, could have asked Coleman about this when we last saw him. Can send him an email.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Shapeshifter
Council Member

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

At least for tournaments where deck lists are needed you would have to decide beforehand which characters to include in your deck and your pool. Back in the days of ICE you had to bring deck lists to every sanctioned tournament, IIRC.

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Oh, joy. Another permutation that is nowhere to be found in the rules . . . :)
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly. This prompted the backlash erratum that I will link to as soon as I notice it is officially posted. :)

rezwits

Post by rezwits » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 am

Bandobras Took wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm
Oh, joy. Another permutation that is nowhere to be found in the rules . . . :)
Ha! I need this tho... can't believe you guys didn't NEED/DO deck lists at LURE...

Laters...

Return to “Rules Questions”