Converted Havens

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Re: Converted Havens

Post by the Jabberwock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

I'm not sure what you are referring to by cards being discarded from play by default.... but in reference to The White Tree, it has a card erratum which states: "Discard the Sapling of the White Tree."

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 am

But is there anything that indicates it must be discarded from play?
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards correctly. This prompted the backlash erratum that I will link to as soon as I notice it is officially posted. :)

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 am

Bandobras Took wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 am
But is there anything that indicates it must be discarded from play?
I think it is a matter of common sense. I understand that rules and rulings can be placed under a microscope and dissected to sometimes find unintended methods of use which are technically legal. However, I think sometimes taking a step back and asking what makes obvious sense is the correct approach.

The White Tree states: Playable only if a Sapling of the White Tree is at Minas Tirith.

The CRF states: "Discard the Sapling of the White Tree."

If you are making the argument that a stored Sapling which is out of play could be discarded (since the CRF doesn't state "from play"), then you might as well say it is perfectly fine to discard the Sapling from your hand. This makes no sense of course, so it should be dismissed.

Thematically, I don't have a problem allowing the discard of a stored Sapling at Minas Tirith, as it would make sense. However, the rules appear to forbid this. What I do have a problem with is allowing something that doesn't make sense to occur (discarding the Sapling from anywhere simply because the CRF doesn't state "from play.")

Return to “Rules Questions”