roadblock cards

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
peril returned

roadblock cards

Post by peril returned » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 am

Hi everyone

I have just started trying the roadblock cards and they have thrown up a few questions that I hope you can answer.

If a snowstorm is in play, can I "attempt" to move and draw cards, have hazards played on me and then return to my site of origin? Or is it that once snowstorm is in play, you cannot leave your site if it is in a wilderness (or would have a wilderness in the site path) and therefore cannot draw cards.

Further, if a long winter or foul fumes is in play (and a snowstorm if necessary) if I am returned to my site of origin, does it also tap the site I was travelling to if it meets the requirements of the winter/fumes and therefore discarded, or can I return it to my location deck.

Thanks very much for your help.

Muad'Dib

Re: roadblock cards

Post by Muad'Dib » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 am

-> Snowstorm

First you move, draw cards and bounce. Opponent cant play creatures against you

-> Long Winter/Foul Fumes
You tap all revealed sites in play, including these where you were moving and these you were leaving.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Post by Konrad Klar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:09 am

The actions created by cards like Snowstorm, or Long Winter (i.e. "return a company to its site of origin", "tap a sites with [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] in its site path") do not happen immediately.
When conditions that activate the actions are met (which may happen at the start of M/H phase, or in middle of chain of effects), the actions are declared as first action of next chain of effects.
Order of the declarations (if there is more than one such action) is choosen by player proceding its turn.
So players may declare in response to the actions anything that does not need to be first declared action of chain of effects (no creatures, no other actions that cause immediate attack(s), no corruption cards), before the action will resolve.
If the card that cause the action will be removed before the action will resolve, and/or if the condition that activate the action (e.g. [-me_wi-] in company's site path) will be removed before the action will resolve, the action will be canceled.

In particular case when "return a company to its site of origin" and "tap a sites with [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] (or with [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-]) in its site path)", are declared as first of actions of chain of effect, whether new site will be tapped, or not, will depend on order of declarations.
If "tap sites" is declared a first, and "return to the site of origin" as second, the site will be removed from table when the company will be returned.
The action "tap sites" will not affect it.
(Assuming that the company has been actually returned, and that there is no effect that keep the site on table, e.g. the site was not the site already on table choosen as new site in organization phase for any moving company).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

peril returned

Post by peril returned » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:59 am

Thanks for the responses guys!
My brain did melt a little with the conditions/actions/declarations/chain of effects.
But now I understand that if I'm snowstormed I can at least draw some cards in hopes of getting out of it somehow.
Thanks again

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 am

Konrad Klar wrote:
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:09 am
So players may declare in response to the actions anything that does not need to be first declared action of chain of effects (no creatures, no other actions that cause immediate attack(s), no corruption cards), before the action will resolve.
So I may play Twilight, correct?

Scenario:
I begin the M/H phase for a company traveling from Moria to Lorien. Snowstorm is already in play (suspended with Will of Sauron). My opponent and I both draw cards. I declare a Twilight targeting the Snowstorm. My Twilight resolves and Snowstorm is discarded. My company continues to Lorien. Correct?

This is legal because Twilight does not need to be the first declared action in a chain of effects?

Where can I find the list of all card types which must be the first declared action in a chain of effects so that I know what is and is not legal to play before the Snowstorm effect resolves and sends my company back to Moria? Or is it only the ones you listed that must be a first declared action (creatures, actions that cause an attack, corruption cards)... and everything else is allowed?

Konrad Klar wrote:
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:09 am
In particular case when "return a company to its site of origin" and "tap a sites with [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] (or with [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-]) in its site path)", are declared as first of actions of chain of effect, whether new site will be tapped, or not, will depend on order of declarations.
If "tap sites" is declared a first, and "return to the site of origin" as second, the site will be removed from table when the company will be returned.
The action "tap sites" will not affect it.
(Assuming that the company has been actually returned, and that there is no effect that keep the site on table, e.g. the site was not the site already on table choosen as new site in organization phase for any moving company).
To make sure I understand what you are saying here, I'd like to clarify:

Doors of Night is in play. If my company is moving from Isengard to The Stones, and both Long Winter and Snowstorm are already in play: the hazard player will declare which passive action takes place first. If he declares Long Winter first and Snowstorm second, then Snowstorm will resolve first, sending my company back and The Stones will be returned to my location deck before it can be tapped. If, however, the hazard player declares that Snowstorm's effect will resolve first, and Long Winter second, then Long Winter will resolve first (tapping The Stones), and then Snowstorm will resolve, sending my company back and sending The Stones (tapped) to the discard pile.
Do I have this right?

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Post by Konrad Klar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:56 am

the Jabberwock wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 am
So I may play Twilight, correct?
Yes.
the Jabberwock wrote:
Scenario:
I begin the M/H phase for a company traveling from Moria to Lorien. Snowstorm is already in play (suspended with Will of Sauron). My opponent and I both draw cards. I declare a Twilight targeting the Snowstorm. My Twilight resolves and Snowstorm is discarded. My company continues to Lorien. Correct?

This is legal because Twilight does not need to be the first declared action in a chain of effects?
Yes.
the Jabberwock wrote:
Where can I find the list of all card types which must be the first declared action in a chain of effects so that I know what is and is not legal to play before the Snowstorm effect resolves and sends my company back to Moria? Or is it only the ones you listed that must be a first declared action (creatures, actions that cause an attack, corruption cards)... and everything else is allowed?
Creatures, other actions that cause immediate attack(s), corruption cards.
the Jabberwock wrote:
Doors of Night is in play. If my company is moving from Isengard to The Stones, and both Long Winter and Snowstorm are already in play: the hazard player will declare which passive action takes place first. If he declares Long Winter first and Snowstorm second, then Snowstorm will resolve first, sending my company back and The Stones will be returned to my location deck before it can be tapped. If, however, the hazard player declares that Snowstorm's effect will resolve first, and Long Winter second, then Long Winter will resolve first (tapping The Stones), and then Snowstorm will resolve, sending my company back and sending The Stones (tapped) to the discard pile.
Do I have this right?
Resource player decides about order of declarations (if multiple actions compete to be first action declared in chain of effects).

"If, however, the hazard player declares that Snowstorm's effect will resolve first, and Long Winter second, then Long Winter will resolve first (tapping The Stones), and then Snowstorm will resolve, sending my company back and sending The Stones (tapped) to the discard pile."
I think that you mean:
"If, however, the hazard player declares that Snowstorm's effect will be declared first, and Long Winter second, then Long Winter will resolve first (tapping The Stones), and then Snowstorm will resolve, sending my company back and sending The Stones (tapped) to the discard pile."
Right?

So:
If, however, the resource player declares that Snowstorm's effect will be declared first, and Long Winter second, then Long Winter will resolve first (tapping The Stones), and then Snowstorm will resolve, sending my company back and sending The Stones (tapped) to the discard pile.

is correct. Assuming that the company has a ranger, or there is no [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] in its path.
Otherwise there will be 3 actions competing to be first declared:
- return company (from Snowstorm),
- return company (from Long-Winter),
- tap non-Haven sites with [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] in their path.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions”