International shipping options from the USA

Everything related to buying, selling or trading your MECCG.
Kjeld

International shipping options from the USA

Post by Kjeld » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:56 pm

What's the best way to ship a low volume of high-value cards from the USA to an international recipient (e.g. in Europe)? All the options with tracking that I see with US Postal Service are extremely expensive. I can of course just send a couple of cards in a hard plastic sleeve in a normal letter envelop or small padded envelop, and that may cost $4-8 or so. But it doesn't come with tracking. A flat rate envelop is over $30. Are there other good methods that people have used? What are they?

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Re: International shipping options from the USA

Post by the Jabberwock » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome to the joys of shipping international via USPS living in the USA. Our friends in Europe get a much better deal than us.

You shouldn’t have to bother with a flat rate envelope. Your options are:

1) $1-$2 with stamps and a normal envelope. Use top loaders to create a “plank” for protection. No tracking available. PM rezwits for more info, he’s the expert.

2) $11-$13 for a USPS First Class International package. This will include tracking to most destinations. Send in a bubble mailer or whatever you prefer.

You might also be able to get away with sending a “Large Envelope” for a cheaper cost, but no tracking.

Hope this helps!

Kjeld

Post by Kjeld » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 pm

It's a real pain that the price ships from about $2 to almost $14, with nothing in the middle. If I want to trade an R1 for another R1 with someone in Europe, $13.50 seems hardly worth the trouble, but it also seems dangerous to risk a ~$40 card to the whims of the postal system.

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm

best find someone with a suitcase then have them travel to Europe, did that for our 50 deck boxes 2 years ago

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:06 am

Kjeld wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 pm
It's a real pain that the price ships from about $2 to almost $14, with nothing in the middle. If I want to trade an R1 for another R1 with someone in Europe, $13.50 seems hardly worth the trouble, but it also seems dangerous to risk a ~$40 card to the whims of the postal system.
Indeed it is. I've felt this same frustration multiple times. You could always let the USPS know how you feel. Not that it will do any good, but hey.....

I've had our European brothers send me cards on numerous occasions and I believe it costs them about $3-$5 to ship the equivalent (with tracking) of what would cost us $11-$14.
Vastor Peredhil wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm
best find someone with a suitcase then have them travel to Europe, did that for our 50 deck boxes 2 years ago
HAHA! That's awesome!

Return to “The Marketplace”