MECCG at Gateway 2017, LAX Hilton - Labor Day Weekend!

TradewindRider

MECCG at Gateway 2017, LAX Hilton - Labor Day Weekend!

Post by TradewindRider » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 am

Greetings All,

Am pleased to announce that there will be MECCG at Gateway 2017 over the Labor Day weekend, 2-3 September 2017, at LAX Hilton in Los Angeles, California!

Following is the tentative schedule for MECCG events that I've submitted to the convention staff, though we can be flexible depending on attendance and the players' wishes:

(1) Saturday, 2 September: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - Middle-Earth CCG 101

Introductory session for the Lord of the Rings Middle-Earth CCG! Veterans and beginners alike are welcome--bring your own constructed and/or challenge decks, or you're welcome to use ours! We will be based in the CCG room at the con, look for the Lidless Eye T-Shirts!

(2) Saturday, 2 September: 3:00-6:00 PM - Hero Constructed

Hero Constructed Deck Middle-Earth CCG tourney! Standard 30/30 decks, 3-round Swiss format but with relaxed environment and timing rules. Veterans and beginners alike are welcome--bring your own constructed and/or challenge decks, or you're welcome to use ours!

(3) Saturday, 2 September: 7:00-11:00 PM - Multi-Player Hero Arda

Be one of the five Istari in Middle-Earth and vie for the right to lead the fight against Sauron! Gather treasures, persuade allies, and recruit armies while avoiding the lure of corruption!! We supply all the cards and the play map, just bring yourselves and your lucky dice!!!

(4) Sunday, 3 September: 1:00-5:00 PM - Open Constructed (Hero/Minion/Balrog/Fallen Wizard/First Folk)

Open-format Middle-Earth CCG tourney! Hero, Minion (Sauron/Nazgul), Fallen Wizard, Balrog, and even Dream Cards constructed decks are most welcome--standard 30/30 decks plus 10 additional against Fallen Wizard decks. 3-round Swiss format but with relaxed environment and timing rules.

Please message back to let us know if you'll be attending, so we can prepare accordingly. As always, It will be an awesome weekend--looking forward to seeing everyone!

TradewindRider
Last edited by TradewindRider on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rezwits

Re: MECCG at Gateway 2017, LAX Hilton - Labor Day Weekend!

Post by rezwits » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm

90% sure I am going, can't wait, an addtional 3rd event this year, I feel lucky.

Will be my 1st event with the Council of Elrond Folks.

I am going to try and see who I can go with, but worst case, I fly out by myself.

1 question, when you say standard 30/30 decks, do you mean the deck are MANDATORY 30/30/30sb?

Or are those minimums? i.e. we can go to 36/36/30 + 8 char, = 72 + 8 = 80? (even 4 avatar, DC)?

Thanks
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

TradewindRider

Post by TradewindRider » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Greetings,

30/30/30 is a minimum, and yes, per the new DC rules you can go to a 4th avatar if you have an 80-card deck. Only a few folks in our play group have the DC cards, so if you have a DC deck put together, that would be great!

We're actually a *very* relaxed environment here, and we're more interested in seeing your deck/decks operate to their maximum designed intention and get the most fun out of them!

Looking forward to seeing you!

rezwits

Post by rezwits » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I am booked!

But I just wanted to give people a heads up, the $110 room rate discount from strategicon.net for the Gateway Convention, has a 3 day minimum.

So, if you are all going crazy finding prices on travel websites, the $110 you can't get for just 2 days, 3 day minimum.

See ya guys there!

p.s. the check-in time for the hotel is 3:00pm, hopefully I can make the tourney at 3:00pm being late, or check in later that night around 6:30pm...
You probably aren't playing Agents correctly 8) <- need a rule thread for this tho...

TradewindRider

Post by TradewindRider » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:45 am

...the 3-day minimum is new/news to me, maybe the LAX hotels have more of a surge than usual for the Labor Day holiday weekend. As much as I'm a fan of the convenience of staying at the Hilton, I'm not a fan of the Hilton--it's an older airport hotel, the food is overpriced, and they don't allow outside food in the gaming areas. There also aren't enough elevators and they are very very very slow.

If you've not booked yet and you have ground transport, recommend other hotels in the LAX area away from Century Blvd. Recently stayed at the Cambria Hotel in El Segundo, it's a new property with $127 per night during that weekend.

No worries if you're late, just join us when you can.

rezwits

Post by rezwits » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Actually, I'm good.

I didn't want to drive back and forth from Vegas on Labor day, to me that sucks more than anything.
So I am just home airport shuttle play sleep play shuttle airport home.
It's going to be NICE!

The only thing on my mind is they said "NO SELLING" unless you have a "gateway seller's pass" or whatever.

But I am hoping to do massive trades if possible. I am bringing my goods, and I hope I can get some scrappy METD (The Dragons) trades with someone who wants to get closer to another full set if not missing just 3-5 or so, you know? Extra R2s and R3s...

And then I have some of the other Blocks I have been gatheriing, MELE etc...
Hopefully we'll at least be able to go 4 cards for 5 etc and get our trade on.

I assume you guys will be selling perhaps I don't know..

Thanks
[-me_gi-]

TradewindRider

Post by TradewindRider » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Greetings All,

I've made a long-overdue correction to our MECCG schedule for the upcoming Labor Day weekend--hope to see you there:

(1) Saturday, 2 September: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - Middle-Earth CCG 101

Introductory session for the Lord of the Rings Middle-Earth CCG! Veterans and beginners alike are welcome--bring your own constructed and/or challenge decks, or you're welcome to use ours! We will be based in the CCG room at the con, look for the Lidless Eye T-Shirts!

(2) Saturday, 2 September: 3:00-6:00 PM - Hero Constructed

Hero Constructed Deck Middle-Earth CCG tourney! Standard 30/30 decks, 3-round Swiss format but with relaxed environment and timing rules. Veterans and beginners alike are welcome--bring your own constructed and/or challenge decks, or you're welcome to use ours!

(3) Saturday, 2 September: 7:00-11:00 PM - Multi-Player Hero Arda

Be one of the five Istari in Middle-Earth and vie for the right to lead the fight against Sauron! Gather treasures, persuade allies, and recruit armies while avoiding the lure of corruption!! We supply all the cards and the play map, just bring yourselves and your lucky dice!!!

(4) Sunday, 3 September: 1:00-5:00 PM - Open Constructed (Hero/Minion/Balrog/Fallen Wizard/First Folk)

Open-format Middle-Earth CCG tourney! Hero, Minion (Sauron/Nazgul), Fallen Wizard, Balrog, and even Dream Cards constructed decks are most welcome--standard 30/30 decks plus 10 additional against Fallen Wizard decks. 3-round Swiss format but with relaxed environment and timing rules.

TradewindRider

TradewindRider

Post by TradewindRider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Greetings rezwits,

Please see the updated schedule I posted yesterday.

Our turnout is expected to be very light on Saturday--I've kept the 3:00 PM Hero event on the schedule, but we probably won't hold anything until Hero Arda at 7:00 PM. It also takes a long time to check into the hotel--in addition to the convention attendees, there are a lot of holiday vacationers and airline crews who stay at this hotel.

So, take your time and we'll see you in the CCG room when you're available.

TradewindRider

rezwits

Re: Relaxed Rules

Post by rezwits » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:16 am

Ok cool thanks for the info.

Just as a heads up. I wanted to offer a "play style" option.

If on the 1st day we are playing in the Hero event, I would assume the rules would be NON-DC, and Classic MECCG with all CRFs, of course, using the beautifully crafted URD 4.2 (universal rules document) by Benjamin A. Sorensen (from various conversations over the years).

If there is not a 1st day tourney, and I am going to play someone, I am just going to ask if you want to play 100% DC, 50/50 Classic/DC, or 100% Classic.

I will assume this will be possible for the 2nd day also.

The reason I am suggesting this is: Basically, if you build your deck, you build it for a format. Either DC or Classic, you might go as far as to build it to "transform" to either format, which is EVEN MORE WORK. But that aside, either DC or Classic the question is there, since this is a relaxed rules environment.

The other reason I am suggesting this is: Besides sites, there isn't any reason why a DC-deck using DC rules can't play against a Classic-deck using Classic rules and vice versus. I have no problem with this myself.

I just feel as a community as some of us are transitioning from Classic to DC and then some not wanting to bother with DC at all

you need a "Negotiations" process. I feel this could work.

Laters...

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 pm

What is 50 % DC?

rezwits

Re: LAX Hilton (50% DC means...)

Post by rezwits » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 pm

one person is playing DC and the other is playing Classic.

Meaning the game is 50% DC and 50% Classic.

i.e. Half of the 2 player game is DC rules while the other half uses Classic rules.

It's funny but I don't see a problem with people using two different rule sets.

There are some advantages, but unless we start just allowing game play with WHATEVER deck vs WHATEVER deck, things will suck for a while.

I have another post that explains further:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3033&p=25149#p25149

It's just like lets play and see what BROKEN situation arise.

Like if sat down and I played a guy and he wanted to use DC and I was playing just basic Minion/Hero.

He goes: 3 minor items
and I go: 2 minor items

COOL WITH ME! I don't care, let just play!

He lays his characters out, and I mine.

Done we start playing.

He has to honor Mountain Regions, I don't! I am classic etc etc

There are advantages and dis-advantages to both RULES situations.

Let's just play and at this point (Mind BOTH sets of rules/differences)

It's too hard to say I am just going to go ALL out DC only and just forget the old rules, because you will run into people who still want the old rules!

And that's life in DC-Middle-earth vs Middle-earth!

Laters...

TradewindRider

Post by TradewindRider » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Greetings rezwits,

Just to clarify, as I mentioned earlier, we are *very* relaxed and casual in our playing environment. We've been able to handle everything outside the Dream Cards, even though we've had to refer to the Balrog rules more often than not. :D Even in a casual 1v1 game, we encourage everyone to imagine an "unlimited" sideboard in order to fully realize the potentials of their deck--i.e. ask what card would be most useful in a given situation that you've otherwise not planned for or thought about, but you wish you had.

Regarding the Dream Cards, we've had folks bring in fully-legal Dream Cards decks (i.e. at least 25% resources and 25% hazards) as well as Hero decks incorporating *some* Dream Cards (though not enough to meet the 25%/25% threshold). In a potential DC vs non-DC game, merely allowing the classic deck to use a third minor item and to use the extra avatar cards for untapping has been sufficient. We've really found each game with the Dream Cards to be much less of a competitive game and much more of an learning and exploration experience.

TradewindRider

Return to “USA MECCG Community”